Frequently Asked Questions - Flowroute Services
What does Flowroute do?
Flowroute is the first pure SIP trunking provider to be certified as a competitive local exchange carrier (CLEC) in the United States. This distinction provides developers and businesses with direct access to and control over their telephony resources such as phone numbers, inbound and outbound calls, SMS, MMS, and other related communication services through the Flowroute Manage Portal and our APIs.
How does your voice service work?
Flowroute runs on top of your existing infrastructure and internet connection. Whether it be a custom-built switch or a basic on-premise switch, as long as your system supports Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) you can utilize Flowroute.
Once you have signed up and activated your Flowroute account, interconnection can be completed by SIP credentials or IP Based authentication. If you have a static IP address or Dynamic DNS, we recommend setting up IP based routing for inbound calls. It’s much more reliable than SIP registration as we won’t rely on an active registration session (which can fail intermittently for many reasons) to route calls to your PBX. If you don’t have a static IP or DDNS, you can register your device using SIP credentials provided in your account.
If you have a static IP address, we recommend setting up IP-based authentication for outbound calls. It is much more secure & reliable than SIP registration as we will only permit calls from your PBX IP address & won’t require any credentials for you to place calls.
- Outbound calls can be authenticated either via standard SIP credentials, which can be found in your online portal or use IP Authentication.
- Inbound calls can be routed to a registered SIP device, host IP or domain, SIP URI, or forwarded to an external phone number. We also provide a secondary failover route in the event that the primary route doesn’t respond.
How does your messaging service work?
Messaging is supported by our messaging API. Our goal is to provide developers and businesses the utmost flexibility when it comes to integrating calling and messaging into their apps and services, which is why we have provided this functionality through an API. You can find more details about our APIs here. Please note that Flowroute Messaging is sent by way of an HTTP protocol, not over SIP.
Do you offer local phone numbers?
Yes, we do. You can purchase phone numbers through your online portal. To gain access to our phone number inventory, you will first need to create a free account. You can find our inventory under the DIDs → Purchase tab of your Flowroute manage portal.
To learn more about purchasing a phone number, read this article.
Do you offer vanity or toll-free numbers?
Yes, we do. There are multiple options to find specific phone numbers you are looking for.
Unfortunately, we don’t currently offer the ability to search the inventory by keywords or specific number sequences. If you don’t find the number you are looking for you have a few options:
- Submit a ticket to our support team so they can check all the numbers we have available on the Flowroute network.
- For 800 numbers, check out 800forall, if you find the number you are looking for there, you can submit a ticket and our support team will procure the number and add it to your account.
- For local numbers, check out NumberBarn, If you find the number you are looking for on that site, purchase the number and then port it over to Flowroute.
As a carrier, we have direct access to port from these sites quickly and efficiently.